Who are we?
We are Captain AI, a group of enthusiastic engineers and scientists putting their heart into developing software to achieve full autonomous shipping. Our office and test-area is located in the busiest port of Europe, Rotterdam.
Captain AI has been paving the way for ship-autonomy since 2017. From the start of our journey until now we have achieved many milestones. We’ve demonstrated remote-control on a Watertaxi, shown autonomous operation on the Borkum (one of our test vessels) and now have access to other cool vessels.
To further our current goals we need your help!
Your role would be to support the team in developing algorithms to model the environment around a vessel based on sensor inputs such as radar, cameras, AIS (a marine positioning system), and other sensors. We are currently collecting such datasets from several real-world vessels, structuring and visualizing them in the cloud. Your role would be to create pipelines that ingest these datasets, clean and structure them, and use them for training and deploying predictive models.
The job allows you to grow personally and further develop yourself and the company’s growth. We enjoy working hard but also take time to celebrate achievements!
What you’ll be doing
As machine learning engineers, we expect you to understand the problem we are trying to solve at a high level and develop appropriate technical solutions. We value people who can iterate quickly, trying out a few solutions before settling on the best one given time constraints.
- Collaborate on developing machine learning solutions to extract high-level information from different sensor inputs, for example, detecting ships in radar or camera.
- Leverage historical information for a better understanding of vessel motion
- Leverage a high fidelity simulator for data generation on edge-case scenarios
- Master degree in ML/DL, computer science or equivalent real world experience
- 1-2 years of experience working in a commercial machine learning (or similar) role
- Experience with developing, deploying, and monitoring machine learning models
- Familiarity with both scripted languages and compiled languages
- Experience using frameworks like Torch (PyTorch) and TensorFlow
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Analytical thinking and pragmatic problem-solving capability
- 3-4 years of experience working in a commercial machine learning (or similar) role
- Affinity with hardware, the physical world and a strong drive to ‘make stuff work’
What we offer
We are building an international ambitious team, at an inspiring location. We offer a good salary, pension, a employee participation plan, free lunch, flexible working hours and many other perks.